The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Wednesday, July 04, 2007  

SO LONG, FAREWELL
Auf Wiedersehen, Good-bye
The sun has gone/ to bed and so must I/ So long/ Farewell/ Auf wiedersehen/ Goodbye/ Goodbye/ Goodbye/ Goodbye! - From "The Sound of Music," Rodgers & Hammerstein

Jim died last night, and I'm lost. Who do you talk to about losing your best friend when the person you lost is your best friend? I only hope he's right about this heaven thing, and that angels were there to greet him at the door.

His friend Susie told me something I didn't know about him: He loved "The Sound of Music" and, much to the horror of the onlookers, once sang the entire score with her sitting outside Tangier, the bar where they met each week for Drinking Liberally.

I kind of like the image of Jim singing and dancing until he's just out of view, going somewhere else to sleep. Sweet dreams, Jim. I miss you so much already.

- Lynn Haddock

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS